Energy savings for spring
Today, spring begins and ends with a long, harsh winter for large parts of the United States. With the start of the new season a new opportunity to find ways to save energy and money.
Here are some simple things you can do to improve the energy efficiency and comfort of your home when the warmer temperatures come:
Service the air conditioner
1. Service the air conditioner. Simple maintenance, such as replacing the air filter or cleaning it regularly, can reduce the energy consumption of your cooling system by up to 15%. The first day of spring can also serve as a reminder to check the air conditioner’s evaporator coil, which must be cleaned annually to ensure that the system is operating at an optimal level.
2. Open the windows. When you open the windows, a tailwind is created so you can cool your home naturally without turning on the air conditioners. This is an ideal tactic in the spring when the temperature is mild.
3. Use ceiling fans. By cooling your home with ceiling fans, you can raise your thermostat four degrees. It can help reduce your electricity bill without sacrificing overall comfort.
4. Who. On hot spring days, stay warm at home by using an outdoor grill instead of indoor ovens.
5. Install window treatments. Energy-efficient window treatments or coatings, such as shades, shades and films, can reduce heat transfer as temperatures rise. These devices not only enhance the look of your home, but also reduce energy costs.
6. Seal air outlet. Using affordable greases to seal cracks and openings keeps your home warm air and money in your wallet.
7. Bring sunlight. Turn off artificial lights during the day and illuminate your home with windows and skylights.
8. Adjust the thermostat. If you place the thermostatic thermostat higher when you are away from home, you can reduce your energy costs by approx. 10 percent.
9. Sealing lines. Air loss through ducts can lead to high electricity costs and account for almost 30 percent of the cooling system’s energy consumption. Sealing and insulating ducts can significantly reduce your electricity bill.
10. Turn on the fans in the bathroom. Bathroom fans absorb heat and moisture from your home, which improves comfort.
See our home cooling and landscape infographics for more ways to reduce energy costs during the spring. Visit the Energy Saver website for more tips on improving your home’s energy efficiency.